DEAN, ATHLETICS, KINESIOLOGY, AND HEALTH EDUCATION
R-01087 San Diego County - Cuyamaca College
Transforming lives through learning isn't just the vision of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District. It happens every day with our 30,000 students who take the first step in their higher education, become trained for a new career, or learn knowledge that transforms their world perspective.
The Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District honors a diverse academic community and fosters equity mindedness across our institutions. As such, the District is committed to eliminating achievement gaps among different student groups by promoting a culture of appreciation for diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice, and continuously examining our processes and practices through an equity lens.
The District provides an excellent health and welfare benefits package to its employees. We take care of our employees and have continued to offer medical, dental and vision coverage to eligible employees and their dependents at no charge for any of the plans we offer.
Become a part of this dedicated team in beautiful San Diego County!
Please read the entire job posting before your application is submitted. Important instructions to applicants are at the bottom of the page. Be attentive when applying as many of our positions require multiple attachments.
Please note: each page of the application will save upon clicking next.' Draft applications can be accessed through the candidate home page.
Job Summary Application Deadline: Monday, September 28, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
Tentative Interview Dates: Week of 10/26 and Week of 11/2, 2020
Department: VP Instruction
Months worked out of the Year: 12 months
Work hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Shift Differential: None
Starting Salary Range: M-10 - Step A or B or C Range: $118,523 (Step A) or $123,264 (Step B), or $128,195 (Step C) Annually Based on education and experience
Anticipated Start Date: January 4, 2021
Cuyamaca College seeks talented and dedicated candidates who share our strategic focus on student success and equity to apply for our Dean of Athletics, Kinesiology and Health Education position. With a remarkably diverse student body, we especially seek candidates with a record of effective leadership and mentoring of students of all backgrounds. Cuyamaca College is proud to be recognized in California for its equity-minded and innovative approaches that facilitate clear educational and career pathways for our students. Situated on a tree-studded, 165-acre oasis, Cuyamaca College is also among the most picturesque campuses in beautiful San Diego County. Built in 1978, Cuyamaca College celebrates over 40 years of excellence and now serves approximately 9,000 students. If this opportunity sounds like the right fit for you, we encourage you to apply and join a stellar team of colleagues to lead us into the future.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Instruction, the Dean will plan, organize, and direct the operations of a major instructional division; administer, supervise and evaluate the performance of academic and classified personnel; evaluate educational programs, courses and other experiences that will directly result in the educational growth of the students. The Dean functions within a college structure that emphasizes collaboration across department lines and is assigned responsibility for selected college-wide functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean will be responsible for the development, direction, supervision, and evaluation of the assigned set of the college's academic programs and/or college service areas, which include Athletics, Kinesiology, and Health Education
Administrators may be assigned responsibility for a combination of day, evening, and weekend programs, on-campus and off site. Each instructional Dean assumes responsibility for some college-wide functions and is responsible for grants management in his/her area. Managers will be expected to perform other duties consistent with their job description.
* Manage, evaluate and coordinate academic subject areas and student services in accordance with legal requirements, district policies and sound instructional and student services principles and practices.
* Breadth and depth of experience or qualifications relevant to oversight of physical education, health education, athletics, and athletic support functions; background in physical education and coaching; experience managing or overseeing physical education facilities and equipment.
* Establish overall goals, objectives and plans; prepare reports and presentations; initiate and participate in overall program review and planning, including Student Learning Outcome (SLO) development and assessment, communicate statutes, district and college policies and philosophies to division staff.
* Support division faculty in curriculum planning and development; evaluate and recommend instructional materials, equipment and facilities.
* Oversee and comply with the Constitution of the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA), and provide administrative support and supervision to 11 athletic teams during day, late afternoon, evening and weekend on/off campus contests and activities.
* Perform the hiring, evaluation and retention of assigned faculty, coaches and staff according to statutes, Governing Board policy, and collective bargaining units; plan and coordinate orientation and in-service education for professional development of program faculty, coaches and staff.
* Prepare faculty teaching assignments, catalog material and schedules and other program information as required; assign certificated and classified staff to work areas, hours and duties; orient and assist new personnel as needed.
* Prepare budgets and submit through appropriate channels for approval; monitor and control assigned program-operating budgets; initiate special fund requests; determine need and priority for capital equipment and materials.
* Serve as a member of district, site and/or other committees and task forces.
* Ensure responsiveness of assigned special programs and effective coordination with student services' functions to the overall needs of the campus, students, faculty and administrators.
* Commitment to the community college concept, including the open door philosophy and a diverse curriculum for a heterogeneous student population.
* Coordinate and facilitate the resolution of student, instructor and staff conflicts and problems.
* Perform related duties as assigned regarding assigned programs as necessary.
* In-depth knowledge of the Education Code, Title 5 and other administrative state and/or federal regulations and the ability to apply these regulations.
* Participate in public information activities to promote and publicize total instructional and student services programs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the classification.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Master's degree from an accredited institution plus five years of achievement in management, supervision or leadership programs, departments or divisions within an institution of higher education, with emphasis in one or more of the areas to which the Dean position is assigned.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:
Applicants may find it helpful to refer back to the job posting, specifically the special instructions, while applying. Consider saving the job description or opening a new browser window.
*ATTENTION* Application materials with pictures or personal information will render your application incomplete. Please do not include any materials that were not asked for.
Having the following materials prepared and ready to attach BEFORE beginning the application may make the application experience more seamless.
Position specific required documents:
Applicants interested in applying to this position must submit all of the required application materials by the closing deadline.
1) Complete District Application
2) Complete and Current Resume
3) 1-2 Page Cover Letter that addresses how you meet the requirements of the position.
NOTE: This position has dual responsibilities - Dean of Athletics as well as Dean of Kinesiology, and Health Education. As a part of your cover letter, please include how you would meet and balance the needs of the Athletics Department as well as the Kinesiology and Health Education Departments.
*ATTENTION* The cover letter is also used while screening your application materials to gain information about your qualifications.
4) Official or Unofficial Transcripts from an accredited college or university.
NOTE: Official transcripts will be required if you are offered employment.
*ATTENTION* Please upload .doc, .docx, or PDF files. If you are working on Google Docs or Mac files please be sure to save under .doc or PDF for file to upload correctly.
If you have a degree from a college or university outside of the UNITED STATES, you must have your coursework evaluated by a professional association. Click here for Foreign Degree Translation information.
Under Federal Law, employers are required to verify that all new employees are eligible for employment in the United States. Prior to appointment to a position, you must present acceptable proof of your identity and authorization to work in the United States.
GCCCD is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX employer.
Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and who require accommodations for completing the application process or interviewing should notify the Human Resources Department by calling (619) 644-7679.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful fingerprint clearance. A processing fee plus Live Scan fee will be required.
The Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District, a two-college district in eastern San Diego County, has been providing a high-quality education to the region since Grossmont College opened its doors in 1961 and Cuyamaca College began operating in 1978. The district is tied closely to the suburban and rural communities that it serves, providing a $1 billion economic impact to the region through its payroll, purchasing, and spending by students and alumni.
The district has a strong commitment to diversity and equity with a student population representing a broad variety of backgrounds, ethnicities, socioeconomic levels, cultures and abilities. The district strives to provide an educational environment that fosters cultural awareness, mutual understanding, and respect that ultimately also benefits the global community.
The colleges offer more than 150 degrees and certificates in a wide range of programs. Both colleges have signature programs that have become well-renowned. Grossmont College is recognized for its top-notch Administration of Justice, Culinary Arts, Nursing and Allied Health and Theatre Arts programs, while Cuyamaca is known for its Automotive Technology, Ornamental Horticulture, Environmental Health and Safety and Water/Wastewater Technology programs.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Transforming lives through learning isn’t just the vision of the Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District. It happens every day with our 30,000 students who take the first step in their higher education, become trained for a new career, or learn knowledge that transforms their world perspective. The Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community College District honors a diverse academic community and fosters equity mindedness across our institutions. As such, the District is committed to eliminating achievement gaps among different student groups by promoting a culture of appreciation for diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice, and continuously examining our processes and practices through an equity lens. The District provides an excellent health and welfare benefits package to its employees. We take care of our employees and have continued to offer medical, dental and vision coverage to eligible employees and their dependents at no charge for any of the plans we offer. Become a part of this dedicated team in beautiful San Diego County!