Congressional School seeks a Physical Education Teacher/Coach for the 2020-2021 school year. This job can be filled on a part-time or full-time basis. The Physical Education Teacher is responsible for creating an environment that fosters and promotes physical fitness and discovers and develops talents of students in physical achievement. The Physical Education Teacher is a member of a collaborative team and teaches across divisions (infants through middle school) to deliver a program that is student-centered and focused on developing a lifelong love of fitness and health. The Physical Education Teacher is knowledgeable about current research relevant to the learning and development needs of all students including health and wellness. In addition to the below duties and responsibilities, the Physical Education Teacher is positive, collaborative and innovative.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Teaches skills in physical fitness, rhythm and dance, and individual and team sports
· Develops creative lesson plans and assesses student development
· Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student
· Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior to provide an orderly, productive environment
· Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and areas
· Evaluates each student’s growth in physical skills, knowledge and contribution in team sports
· Communicates with parents and the administration on student progress
· Attends staff development programs, curriculum development meetings, in-service days
and other professional and community activities
· Performs any other related duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree in physical education or related field; Master’s degree preferred
· Minimum 2 years’ relevant teaching experience, preferably in an independent school
· Interest in collaborating with colleagues and a passion for working with children
· Knowledge and ability to instruct a wide range of sport activities
· Minimum 2 years’ coaching experience at the middle school or upper school level with the ability to coach three seasons
· Demonstrated knowledge and experience in child development and educational practices
· Strong initiative and organizational skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· An ability to work in a joyful, collegial and collaborative environment
· A sense of humor, warm personality, and growth mindset
Congressional School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age or disability. Congressional School's campus is a smoke-free work zone.
About Congressional School
Founded in 1939, Congressional School is a co-ed independent day school in the heart of Falls Church, VA. Dedicated to young learners—infants through eighth graders—Congressional School serves more than 345 students and 2,000 campers annually through its academic and summer programs. The school develops great thinkers and leaders by encouraging students to explore, embrace challenge, and grow through an innovative academic program —all in a diverse and inclusive community. Well-prepared for excellent secondary schools, Congressional School graduates have confidence, a sense of ethics, and the desire to continually and respectfully question, collaborate, create, and lead.
Teachers at Congressional School are passionate, innovative, and dedicated members of the Congressional community who embrace the vision, mission, philosophy and traditions of the School while always striving for excellence. Teachers are committed to growth as professionals and individuals, and are eager to help the school’s students strive for and be their best. Congressional is a community where learning, growing, curiosity, engagement, hard work, and play are all valued and nurtured.